Saturday, December 25, 2010

Class hatred, race hatred, and stuck-up rioters


I was about to exit The Independent's website when I noticed some healthy counterwheigh to the Chrismeared Patterson's Dhimmitude : 
Julie Burchill: You have to laugh when right-on icons turn out to have the moves of frat boys

Class hatred, race hatred, and stuck-up rioters
"When I dissed the Fauntleroy riots last week, I didn't have the space to mention another reason why I despise the stuck-up half-wits. And that would be that they didn't just disrespect generations of mostly working-class men (and the occasional woman) who died in order to win their freedom when they desecrated war memorials. They also set their stall up against the mostly working-class men (and the occasional woman, and horse) who were sent to police their antics.
When I was knocked down by a police horse in Lewisham at 17, after being a bit too showy in my bid to taunt the National Front marchers, I remember coming round afterwards and saying, dazed, "Woooah – that was SOME HORSE!" Even then, I understood why the police had to do it. In all the excitement, I also lost the badge I wore on my leather jacket that day – "I HATE STUDENTS, YEAH!", it said. A punk boy had given it to me in Manchester; I don't do regret, but I SO wish I still had it.
It spoke volumes that the students attacked Topshop – the flagship store of Sir Philip Green, a working-class man from an immigrant family who created his business empire from nothing – rather than the seats of inherited power. As a racist website so elegantly put it:
"Topshop – the Jew, Philip Green's, Black Goons.
"The BBC showed news today of a demo at the Arcadia Group's flagship Oxford Street Topshop store. Topshop is owned by the Jew Philip Green who, despite residence in Britain, ensures that his money is 'earned' offshore and therefore free of UK tax. The demo was in protest against prominent tax dodgers... Almost all of the demonstrators were slight, young white girls who were being manhandled by an army of enormous, exclusively black 'security' guards."
Whenever I am pilloried as a reactionary for being repelled by the Fauntleroy riots, I'll think of that quote. And of the 37-year-old student leader Clare Solomon, who may well be a Holocaust-denier, posting as she did a message on Facebook which said: "The view that Jews have been persecuted all throughout history is one that has been fabricated in the last 100 or so years to justify the persecution of Palestinians."
And, if it's possible, I'll feel smugger and more sure than ever that I'm on the right side."

No comments: